Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Exit Stage Left - Leaving Facebook

Just updating everyone one last time that I am proudly leaving Facebook. Why? Well, I'm over the social networking thing. Mainly, I am leaving Facebook because I'm tired of their data collecting, target marketing, censorship and personal info sharing. When I figure out how to stop using Google I'll let you know too. 

Meanwhile I am reducing my electronic footprint as I have done with my carbon footprint. It's time to get back to basics and not let the computer eat up too much of my valuable time and socialize in the real world. I can still be reached via my blog and website. If you would like to receive a monthly update on what is going on with my jewelry please visit my website and drop me a line. I'd love to hear from you!

Peace.

7 comments:

Ray said...

Bravo for your courage. It's something I need to do as well. I feel like I'm outta Balance!

"An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted on by an unbalanced force. An object (FaceBook) in motion continues in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.
This law is often called" "the law of inertia".
This site has a nice ILL~astration.It's actually stifling my creativity.

http://teachertech.rice.edu/Participants/louviere/Newton/law1.html

PEACE!

Geoff Wilson said...

To avoid using Google search, try alternatives like Daniel Brandt's "scroogle" scraper:
https://ssl.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbwssl.cgi (I use this by default).

Or you might consider using a "google sharing" proxy for enhanced privacy: http://www.googlesharing.net/

There are also plenty of alternative services for mail and maps, too.

skowood said...

Thank you both for your kind words + info on how to change up with google!

Peace.

Glen said...

I'll miss seeing you on Facebook, but can understand your decision. Wouldn't you know that when I went to "follow" your blog here I had to allow access to all the "public" information on my Facebook page to do so! Looks like George was just a little off with his idea of Big Brother. A little later than 1984 and a bit more under-the-radar.

skowood said...

I'll miss some interactions on FB too. I'll keep checking into your Monster Dad blog though, Glen....really you were asked to share all your info to follow this blog on Facebook? UGH. I hate them.

Black Opal said...

I totally understand your decision.
I work from home full time on my computer.
I guess I am lucky to be able to do this as I am a full time Dad with a 3 year old girl
I try to avoid over doing it on social media though.
Good luck with with the Jewellery and all your creations!
Black Opal

skowood said...

awesome you get to work from home too Black Opal. Your wee-ones are probably happy too that you get to stay home and don't allow yourself to get too distracted by FB.

Peace.