Monday, March 30, 2009

25 Things That Inspire Me to Create Jewelry - #2 Architecture



#2 Architecture

I love architecture styles that are old, new and decaying. The top photo is an interior shot of cell block 11 at Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia. The radial design of ESP's ground plan has been duplicated around the world including Starngeways Prison in Manchester, England. This radial design is the inspiration for my 'Strangeways Here We Come' knuckleduster that I exhibited in 'Architectonics: Foundations in Jewellery'.

I also LOVE the architecture of New Orleans. The mix of French and Spanish influence as well as the beauty of the wear and tear on many of the buildings makes them thoroughly romantic and has drawn me to visit that city 4 times!

I also love contemporary archtiecture such as this bulidng in the bottom photo which was taken in Paris. I relaly enjoy how this building has a light outer shell of squiggly metal contained within a ridgid grid structure. The contrast is very appealing, more on contrasts later...

No comments: