Monday, December 22, 2008

Found Object Jewelry: Beach Pebble Necklace


Here is my last project for 2008. I've not sorted out the closure for it yet so this is still a work in progress but I want to share it to get some feedback on it so far.

It's a monster of a pendant measuring 9.5 cm wide x 9cm (3 3/4" x 3 1/2") and is made with found beach pebbles, cold constructed copper tube and wire plus rope stained with tea. My intention with this piece is to try to embody the spirit of the discarded rusty metal and natural objects that I collect from the streets and on walks in nature. It's a quirky compulsion of mine and I've been wanting to work it out in my jewellery designs to see where it leads.

I'm enjoying the result of this necklace so far but I'm still a little hesitant about it for reasons I can't quite put my finger on yet. Maybe it's because it's uncharted territory for me and I need to do a lot more experimenting with this new direction. I think maybe I also fear this necklace is a a little too much like my work in college which is a bit dated. I want this new work to be more edgy, different. I probably just need to follow it through and start on another piece to just keep experimenting and exploring and not get too hung up.

Give a shout!

No comments: