Sunday, March 9, 2008

Contemporary Wedding Jewelry - What does a jeweler wear to her wedding?






Sterling Silver Necklace with Black Pearls +
Sterling Silver Hollow Ring with Black Pearl + Etched Design


To be honest my wedding band and engagement ring (not shown) that are 18K white gold are quite simple and reflect my taste for German design. I didn't want anything that would get in the way of working with my hands and I am a firm believer of never taking these rings off. The engagement ring has a  1.5 mm diamond flush mounted in a simple 3mm round band and sits next to a 4mm flat wedding band. I love the round and flat combination and the fact that they are so simple allows them to be comfortable to wear everyday. I didn't wish to have a big diamond as I think the money was better spent traveling with my Love in Europe!

The jewelry you see pictured I made the year before I was married. My husband was traveling in China for work at the time and got himself into a jewelry trade show and bought me a small collection of 5mm black pearls as a surprise. What an amazing surprise right? He's a keeper for sure! When I set out to design this black pearl necklace I knew I wanted very special jewelry that would compliment my aubergine a-line taffeta dress (how I LOVE that dress!) but I also wanted something that my husband and I would pass down to our children.

The necklace is made from sterling silver wire with small hidden hinge-mechanisms where they overlap and the ends are capped with the half-drilled black pearls. I really love how it drapes down the back of my neck as well as hangs slightly in the front. It is a like a drawing around my neck when worn! The ring is hollow and decorated with a hand drawn etched pattern plus my signature thorns that protect the black pearl from being srcratched.

I have worn these beauties many times over the years for special occasions and I even included the ring in an jewelry exhibition in London. The exhibition called 'Heirlooms' was presented by the Association for Contemporary Jewellery during their 2006 conference, 'Carry the Can'.

H.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does a girl get her lovely jeweler friend to make for her on her wedding day....? he he

Inda x

skowood said...

She gets her harding working husband to foot the bill for a new necklace AND the wedding bands. ;)

Don't tell me you FINALLY set a date?!

Anonymous said...

Yeah right! Set a date?! Have you forgotten who we are already! And don't you think you'd be one of the first to know ;)

It's your birthday today! Hope you and your lover are having a beautiful weekend!

xI